ClickTale Support Forums

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Heatmaps Not working
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:13 pm 

Hi,

I've got the user recordings working but when I'm trying to generate heatmaps the page loads as it is
without any overlay heatmap information.

The page loads into a URL that looks like http://dmz07.app.clicktale.com/data/24239/.......................7eb95a.html
but there is no heatmap presented

I'm using clicktale's free account and Google Chrome (Version: 25.0.1364.172)

Does anyone know what's happening?

Cheers,

Post subject: Re: Heatmaps Not working
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:06 am 

Hello,

Please use this link (while logged into your ClickTale account): http://subs.app.clicktale.com/CustomerS ... x?ticket=s to send a ticket to our support team, so we can investigate this matter further.

Please include all relevant information, including screenshots, URLs and other data when submitting the ticket.

Chen
ClickTale Support

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:59 pm 

Hello,

We changed the design of the homepage last week and put the clicktale code on to see how users are responding to the change.

But when I tried to generate a heatmap, I'm being presented with a popup with error messages that say 'Error getting Events links',
'Error getting Do it now links' etc., where 'Events' and 'Do it now' are specific sections on the page.
(Website:aucklandcouncil.govt.nz)

However, after clicking through the errors, the heat map does get generated showing no data for the sections reported in the error messages (Events, Do it now etc.,)

Is it possible that the code is not reading and hence not reporting data related to these sections? (as a result of the error) and if it is not how can we rectify it?

Will look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Koti Ivaturi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:48 pm 

Hello Koti,

The issues you described stem from the fact the ClickTale cannot handle XHR (AJAX) requests inside its Heatmap reports.
Your homedoitnow.js file contains code that fires alerts in case AJAX was not rendered correctly (which is the case here). That explains the alerts you are seeing (the "error getting....." messages).

This also explains why you're not seeing the relevant content inside the heatmap.

Support for AJAX inside reports is in progress, however, we don't yet have a solid ETA on that.

Sincerely,

Sergei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:42 pm 

Hi Sergei,

Thanks a bunch for the clarification.

Does this issue prevent data from being recorded and presented in the heatmaps (expecially the click/mouse hover, scroll data over the AJAX elements?
I'm not worried if I can/can't see the relevant content within the heatmaps but I'm concerned whether it affects the recording of click/mousing data around

Regards,
Koti Ivaturi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:05 am 

Hello Koti,

Quote:
Does this issue prevent data from being recorded and presented in the heatmaps (expecially the click/mouse hover, scroll data over the AJAX elements?

The data will still be collected, but without its relevant background inside the visual reports, ClickTale won't incorporate it into the reports.

Quote:
I'm not worried if I can/can't see the relevant content within the heatmaps but I'm concerned whether it affects the recording of click/mousing data around

Since ClickTale uses DOM paths as the first priority, the missing AJAX content should not have an adverse effect on data pertaining to non-AJAX generated ('static') content on the pages.

I hope that clarifies the issues.

Sincerely,

Sergei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:38 pm 

Hi Sergei,

Yupp, that's useful thanks

Regards,
Koti