ClickTale Support Forums

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Heatmap URL parameters
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:35 pm 

I sometimes have a lot of information contained in my URLs after the initial domain. Currently the heatmap tool presents each unique URL with a unique heatmap. I would like the capability to see heatmaps for:

1) The highest level domain URL (www.yahoo.com)
2) The domain URL plus any defined parameters (www.yahoo.com/PID=Clicktale)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:07 am 

I recommend looking at how Google analytics does this. Allow me to say what parameters to strip.

This is crucial for the heatmap to be of any use to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

As far as I know, Google will let you define some parameters to strip. It will do that in the initial processing page so that those parameters are not seen at all later. Meaning you can't filter by them or see them if you want.

Can you give us few example of how you will be using this feature?
What parameter are you looking to strip? Why aren't they important?

Arik.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:24 pm 

Hello.

Frequently data is passed from our publisher network including identifiers that separate one publisher from another, data that uniquely identifies session, etc. Ideally, I wouldn't need to strip the URL, but rather apply filters that allow me to see heatmaps by highest level domain, publisher, or any other criteria I might have stored in the URL.

Thanks,

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

How would you do a heatmap for the highest level domain? Would that only be the homepage or all the pages? I am afraid that if you try to aggregate several different pages then the result wouldn't make sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:32 pm 

Hi.

OK, let me revise for clarity. My language was a bit confusing.

My domain--www.test.com/clicktale.asp has clicktale code that captures all my visitors

The URL in production--www.test.com/clicktale.asp&PID=1&SID=2&username=Jimmy

Currently Clicktale will provide me a different heatmap for every username in the URL format above. I might want to filter out the parameter "username", filter for a specific PID, while allowing all SIDs. Currently there is no way for me to do this. I would like to add filters to my heatmaps that allow me to perform this task.

Thanks,

TG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

I understand the requirements. I am interested to know if you are familiar with regular expressions and whether a solution that will let you specify an expression for a URL would be good for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:31 pm 

Can you explain to me how your proposed solution would work?

I am a business user, so my main interest would be maintaining the simplicity of your current code (which I can copy and paste myself into any page), while being able to use a reporting-type interface to manage the filtering of different parameters and viewing the results. If that required some setup to define the structure of my URL using a wizard while defining each project, that would be acceptable.

Thanks.

TG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:33 pm 

I want to be able to strip out URL paramenters such as the session ID, the tracking link, keyword, etc.

Google Analytics has a simple implementation that could be utilized here. When configuring a Website profile for tracking on Google Analytics, I can Exclude URL Query Parameters.

Parameters are any values that look like &parementer=value
An example URL could be:
www.domain.com/hometest2.php?trackingli ... d=get+help

In the example above, I would configure my project to strip the following parameters and their corresponding values. When I enter them into Google, I enter the following string: tracklinking, keyword

Google strips all these parameters specified by me at setup, and the URLs in their reports consequently include only page names. The URL name in the report then looks like: www.domain.com/hometest2.php

A more advanced implementation, would allow me to strip out parameters from the URL in some sort of a report builder so that I can find videos based on specific parameters I specify (while stripping out others I don't want).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

TG, the solution I have mentioned will not fit a business user. It is a very flexible solution however it will only fit a tech savy user. Please see below for a purposed solution.

jkoyle, I understand the striping that is done by GA. I don't think it is a good fit for ClickTale. GA is a about masses and they want to strip as much information as possible to keep storage low. We want to provide you with every little detail we can find, we don't want to strip the parameters. This is especially true when those parameters can be used to compare how different keywords or campaigns perform.

Here is my purposed solution:
Step one of the report will be changed to have two tabs. Pages with parameters and pages without parameters.
You could choose either type and then see full URLs or URLs without the parameters part (after ?).

If you choose a URL without parameters, and it has some variation with parameters, you will be able to mark which parameters matter to break the various cases by those parameters. You will then get a list of URLs for that page with just the parameters you have selected. If you don't care about parameters at all, you just go to the next step.

You then continue to step two of choosing a version or a date range.

Any comments?

Arik.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:18 pm 

I think that should solve the problem. Since my post, I have used your report building more and I think this would resolve the problem.

However, I should have been more clear in my original post that the parameters are causing the biggest problem for me when I try to use the heatmap. Can you just strip them off for the heat map?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:24 pm 

Hello!

I have just signed on with Clicktale and am enjoying using the features.

I too, have this same problem in that when people come through from my Yahoo campaign they come with a lot of URL parameters (which other custom built tracking uses) such as OVRAW, OVKEY, OVKEYID etc.

Was there a section in the reports and heat map generation which i can have a look at and modify which of these URL params i want to include as is talked about in this thread?

I haven't managed to find it yet so if it is there perhaps someone could point me in the right direction as this would be very useful for me?

Cheers,
Rob

Post subject: URL parameters
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:55 am 

I too think this feature would be absolutely necessary in order to make the heatmap feature useful. Although, having it strip parameters would probably work, it would also work if we could just use wild cards or "contains" criteria.

For example:
using wildcards:
"http://www.mysite.com/productdetails.aspx*productid=22*"

using criteria:
start with "http://www.mysite.com/productdetails.aspx"
and contain "productid=22"

Post subject: URL parameters
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:57 am 

Ok. You already have this feature. Just not on the heatmap page. It is only on the search page. If we could have the same search options on heatmap page that would work great.

Also, maybe the ability to save our favorite search criteria.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:57 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for your feedback.

We are starting with something that will only allow to aggregate different urls for a page if they have a common prefix. At a later point we might extend it to a full-blown wild-card parameter specifier.

Arik.