ClickTale Support Forums

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:16 am 

The playback is fantastic compared to my previous analytical style of guessing. :)

The playback today is focused on Time, skip so many seconds, and actions that include mouse movement.

As I used the interface there were a couple things that would make it much better. I'll outline the request, and then why for each of them.

Additional Auto Skip choices
-----------------------------------------------
I would propose to add to the Auto Skip, non-time actions:
<Pause>
This would auto skip to where the mouse movement paused for more than 1 second. My intent is to see where the viewer is pausing to read.
<Any Mouse Click>
This would auto skip to where the next 'mouse action' occurs, the idea is an action, is significant because the viewer wants to do something, or maybe believes something should be clickable. This is different from mouse movement.
<Keyboard>
This would skip to where the next 'keyboard' press occurs, the idea is an action, is significant because the viewer is trying to type.
<Out of Window>
This would skip to the point where the out of window began. This would give a sense of where the viewer was when they lost interest, or viewed something that may have caused them to go else where.
<End>
This would skip to the end of the playback and would be useful to see the final action taken by the visitor. This would also be used in conjunction with the REWIND feature below.
<any action>
This would auto skip to the next non-mouse movement action allowing me to skip through the playback to each major action.
<all>
This would autoskip to all actions (including mouse movement). This is essentially the way autoskip behaves today.

Additional Button:
----------------------------------------------------
Skip Back
-----------------
A new button SkipBack would be added and would skip back to the prior 'Auto Skip' [action] selected.
For example, I am in playback at natural speed, I notice something on the playback and want to see it again. Today there is no way to rewind, and I have to start all over and frantically click the 'next action' using 100ths of seconds so I am sure not to miss the 1/2 second event.
It would be so much easier to click pause on playback, then Skip back to [any event] which would jump back to the event so I could then play from that point etc.

Change in Button behavior:
PLAY
---------------------------------------------------
I am not sure, but maybe play already does this.
Play would need to "play until" the next Auto Skip action.
Allowing me to 'play' until 'next mouse click'.
Of course the 'all' action would allow playback to occur much as it does today.

----------------------------------------------
Wrap up....
So with the addition of a few options in the <action> drop down, the addition of SKIP BACK, and the change in functionality of the existing SKIP and PLAY buttons Click Tale will become hugely powerful and able to focus on the significant events visitors are taking.

If I can clarify any of these points, please let me know!
Tim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the detailed description.

How do you feel about something that is more like a "timeline" where you can skip to any place on the timeline?
See http://forum.clicktale.net/vi ... .php?t=376 for a similar request.

Arik.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:07 pm 

Arik,

My main issue is that I don't know where on the timeline I would want to jump, because I don't know when the next <action> will occur.

The timeline doesn't really meet the need I am describing, under my suggestion the timeline could be the same as a SKIP to <with the action set to 'end'>.

The changes I suggested should have minimal interface rework, and I was guessing because the playback stream is always showing the mouse state, that it could read the data in the background then stop using the additional <action> options.

Thanks,
Tim