ClickTale Support Forums

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:54 pm 

First, let me say what a great package ClickTale is. I only discovered it yesterday and I'm amazed at how cool it is. I've already sung its praises on two popular forums that I frequent - I hope that helps to bring you some new customers. Fantastic job putting this together :)

Anyway, I'm not just here to say nice things... I have a suggestion relating to the Auto Skip feature.

When I'm watching a playback, my focus is on the recorded mouse movement, as, I suspect most people's focus would be. This means that I don't really notice what's happening with the "Time" and "Next Action In" boxes at the top of the screen, so I'm not actually aware when time is being skipped.

If somebody's reading a long page, it would be fairly common for there to be no mouse activity for big chunks of time, while they read. Sure, a lot of people flip the mouse around the whole time, but I suspect a lot don't when they're reading each screenful of text. The problem is that with auto-skip active and a viewer (me) that's not aware when the skipping is actually occurring, it just looks like the user is scrolling straight through the whole page, fast.

What I think would be really cool would be a message that flashed up over the recording every time that any time was skipped - the message should say how much time was skipped. This could flash up in the middle of the screen, or right next to the mouse - either way I think it needs to be over the recorded view so that it's easy to see it whilst keeping one's eyes on the action.

Alternatively you could actually wait for a mouse click to prompt auto-skips that would skip more than a certain amount of time. e.g. "The mouse was inactive for the next 1:30, click here to continue".

One more small suggestion: it actually took me a while to figure out what auto-skip was, and I still haven't figured out the button to the right of the play button. I think a few tooltips could make a big difference to the usability for new users.

Anyway, many thanks for making ClickTale, and I wish you every success with it for the future!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:02 pm 

My main suggestion still applies, but duh, I've just realized you do have tooltips for the options up at the top.

The trouble is that they pop up right in the top left of the page, so you don't see them at all when you've scrolled down a bit (which I find I have to do a lot when the recording is quite large). Perhaps if you used absolute positioning to fix them to the top left of the screen (instead of the page) they'd be easier to see? Or you could hover them by where my mouse is perhaps?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:46 am 
Site Admin

Hi and thanks for your feedback.

I have sent the note to our product guy.
For now, I can recommend you change your "auto-skip" to a less dense setting. This will enable you to "experience" the periods of no activity better.

Regarding the tool tip. This seems like a bug. The tooltip is supposed to show near the mouse cursor. We will investigate.

Arik.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:53 am 
Site Admin

bromley wrote:
The trouble is that they pop up right in the top left of the page, so you don't see them at all when you've scrolled down a bit (which I find I have to do a lot when the recording is quite large). Perhaps if you used absolute positioning to fix them to the top left of the screen (instead of the page) they'd be easier to see? Or you could hover them by where my mouse is perhaps?

Hi,

It seems that there is something specific with your configuration that puts the tooltips in the top left corner. We weren't able to reproduce this behavior on other machines except one which has FF2+Flashblock add-on. What browser did you use and what add-on do you have installed in it?

Regards,
Arik.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:20 pm 

Hello Arik,

Quote:
For now, I can recommend you change your "auto-skip" to a less dense setting. This will enable you to "experience" the periods of no activity better.

That does help - I currently have it set to skip after 10 seconds. However it's still not easy to tell the times when it skips several minutes or more (likely because the user's gone away to do something else for a bit) from the 10, 20, or 30 second pauses when there's a fair chance that the user's just reading closely without moving the mouse.

The skipping feature is great because it makes it possible to watch the videos much faster, but I do think it would make it much easier to guess what's going on in the user's head if the times when the video skips (and how much time it skips) could be made more obvious.

Quote:
It seems that there is something specific with your configuration that puts the tooltips in the top left corner. We weren't able to reproduce this behavior on other machines except one which has FF2+Flashblock add-on. What browser did you use and what add-on do you have installed in it?

Ah yes I tried it on IE7 and noticed that it didn't have that issue in that browser. The browser that had the problem was Firefox 3 running on Windows XP, and it did have the FlashBlock plugin (along with lots and lots of other plugins too). I tried it on Firefox 3 on another computer (Vista) without the FlashBlock plugin, and the tooltips were working fine, just like on IE7. The zoom feature that ClickTale enables for IE7 is really useful, by the way :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:42 am 

I agree with bromley on both that ClickTale is a great product, but that more visual clues would make it much easier to guess what is going on in the user's head. I like the idea of a short flash message that says for how much time the user has been in active.

In our case a lot of the inacitivity periods are due to the user reading a popup window. Maybe there is a way to indicate that in the flash message as well (e.g. the user openend this URL in another window and then there was 90 secondes of inactivity)

Also, I can't find the setting to change the time period for the auto-skip. Has that been disabled in the meantime?

It would be great if you could address that problem.

--Jakob